For many years I did not even know I was wearing the wrong bra. Well, then I found out that about 8 out of 10 women wear the wrong bra.
Surprisingly, most of us are not even aware of it. While there are many types of bras available like sports bras, multiway bras, push-up bras, slip-on bras, T-shirt bras, and others, what I have realized over the years is that wearing the right bra is essential for confidence and comfort.
However, the question still prevails- how to know if a bra fits without trying it? This is majorly a problem in stand-alone shops where one does not have access to fitting rooms. Another issue is that even when you have fitting rooms, the only factor considered is the ‘bra size’.
Well, to my surprise I gradually determined that there are many factors to consider when looking for the right bra. In this comprehensive guide, we will tell you the essential steps to discover the correct bra.
- 1 Elements to examine the right bra
- 2 Benefits of a good fit bra:
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Conclusion
Elements to examine the right bra
Know your measurement
For most of my life, I was taught to simply go to a lingerie store and tell the bra size, along with the cup size. But after wearing it for a few days I found it either moving up from the back or not even covering the breast.
So, the first thing to do is find the right size with the appropriate measurement.
To do this, start by wrapping a measuring tape around your ribcage, and around your bust.
Make sure it is not too tight. Once you find your band size, put the tape around the fullest part of your bust and keep it parallel to the ground.
Now, subtract the band size from this measurement and you will find your cup size, like 1 inch is A, 2 inches is B, 3 inches is C, and so on.
This process will enable you to find an accurate size laying a solid foundation for selecting the bras without any confusion.
The band is crucial
I have often come across this problem of a bra band being too tight and leaving deep red marks after a long day.
Another problem is when the band moves up that too in awkward places (sometimes in a crowded place) it is difficult to adjust.
Therefore, determining the band size is fundamental. The band must come in a straight line, sitting parallel to the ground in your body, and not be pulled up.
To find the best fit ensure your band snugs without being too tight. To find this, you must be able to place two fingers comfortably under the band.
If you do not find the correct one, it can make you feel irritated or endure pain which is not healthy in the long run.
The cup must fit
Another way to tell if a bra fits well is by factoring in the cups. Most women have breasts of different shapes and sizes. Plus, some may have one breast bigger than the other, and it is absolutely natural to have it.
In such a scenario, the first consideration must be to find a good cup bra that fits the bigger bust.
For overall good results, a good cup must enclose the whole breast, and neither must your bust be spilled out from the side or middle.
Also, notice that your breasts must not be pushed towards your armpit. if it does, then you have chosen a smaller size and it is not ideal. Choose a bigger cup instead.
Further, ensure the cup is not loose and you can check by bending forward. If the bust gapes then the cup is too big. Remember, try as many as you want, but find a well-fitting cup.
The shoulder straps perceived as a stylish element are an important factor in knowing if a bra is a good fit. Good straps ensure that the cups and band fit beautifully against the breast and the body.
Moreover, they will be so comfortable that you do not feel any discomfort during the day.
To start with, first check if the strap is digging into the shoulder, meaning they are too tight. To check this, place a finger between the strap and the shoulder and see the comfort level.
Then manage a good lift or loosen it slightly with the adjustable laces in the strap. Whether you have wider or thin straps, the key is to find a bra with a pleasant and useful strap.
While determining the size and measurements, do not forget the fabric.
Even after you have chosen the best-fitting bra, a low-quality fabric cannot withstand many washes, leading to a change in shape and fit. It can also irritate sensitive skin causing skin issues.
You can choose from silk, wool, synthetic, or cotton. But to choose the most suitable material, understand your skin type and need.
Cotton is highly regarded as safe and best, with a longer lifespan. It can be worn in any season and it does not attract any odour like synthetic.
Benefits of a good fit bra:
As we are determining factors on how to find a good-fit bra, let us also understand why a good-fitting bra is important. Advantages of a good-fitting bra include:
- A good fit bra helps you improve your posture, helping your back to get straight and your shoulder no longer slouched.
- A good-fit bra lifts your bust forward and upward, making your appearance and clothes look better. You are no longer distracted by the tightness or looseness, rather you enjoy the day with confidence.
- Remember, a good bra also brings good health. It reduces back pain and eliminates skin rash and irritation, or any kind of back or chest pain.
- As you feel confident, you will also witness a change in your productivity level with a good-fitted bra. It helps you focus on work and keeps you active.
- Even if you have to spend a few extra rupees to buy good lingerie, go for it. Good quality and fitting bras last longer and become your favorite over time.
- Last, but not least, the right bra makes you feel good and look beautiful at all times.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I really buy a bra without trying it on?
- Yes, by following the steps in this article, you can make an informed choice without trying on the bra.
2. How often should I measure my bra size?
- It’s recommended to measure your bra size every six months, as body changes can affect your measurements.
3. What if I’m in between sizes?
- In such cases, it’s advisable to choose the larger size to ensure comfort and avoid any bulges or discomfort.
4. Are there specific bras for different body shapes?
- Yes, some bras are designed to suit different body shapes, so it’s a good idea to explore options that cater to your specific needs.
5. Can I return a bra if it doesn’t fit as expected?
- Most stores have return policies for bras, but it’s essential to check the store’s specific return guidelines before purchasing.
If you are still wondering about how to find if a bra fits you perfectly, then try the hacks mentioned above, and we assure you that you will be more flawless in your choices and bra experiences.